Simple Spinach and Potato thoran tasted at my friends house was in a real taste.So decided to try it and now this is the recipe which tastes too good. This dish combines it with a lightly spiced onion and coconut.The coconut gives the thoran a nice sweet flavor.Yoy can even use frozen spinach for this recipe ,it will fry easily and quickly if you defrost it before cooking.
- Spinach : 1 big bunch(chopped)
- Potato : 1 big(boiled,peeled,cubed)
- Onion : 1 medium(chopped)
- Salt : as required
- Green chillies : 2-3(chopped)
- Garlic pods : 2 (crushed)
- Coriander powder : 1/2 tblspn
- Dessicated Coconut : 2 tblspn
- Mustard : 1/2 tblspn
- Cumin seeds : 1.2 tblspn
- Urad dal : 1 tblspn
- Dry red chilli : 1
- Oil : 2 tblspn
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard , cumin.As they begin to pop add a pinch asefoetida , urad dal , red chilli , garlic and fry till the color changes to golden brown.
- Then add the chopped onion, green chillies.Cook stirring for 5 mins till the onion softens.
- Add the finely chopped spinach ,salt ,a pinch turmeric and stir fry for another 5 mins till the spinach turns soften.
- Add the boiled potatoes , coriander powder , coconut .Mix well and cook for another 3-5 mins.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.