Biryani, the moment we hear this word, Hyderabad Biryani will be the first thing that comes into anyones mind. Its that famous in Andhra, especially in Hyderabad. Biryani is served in numerous variations and an integral part of Indian cuisine. Its a mouthwatering and heavenly dish.
Biryani when cooked with right mixture of vegetables & masala using the dum technique results a delightful one pot meal.After a few trails , finally I got the perfect restaurant style dum biryani. Biryani with Baingan Bharta is my favourite combination and very confident that it becomes your favourite tooo...
- Basmati rice : 1 1/2 cup
- Carrots : 2
- Cauliflower : 1/2
- Beans : 15
- Peas : 1/2 cup
- Potato : 1
- Tomato : 1
- Green chillies : 3
- Curd : 1 cup
- Milk : 1/2 cup
- Oil : 5 tblspn
- Ghee : 2 tblspn
- Cashew nuts : few
- Saffron : 5-6 threads
- orange color : a pinch
Spice list :
- Cloves : 6
- Black cardamom : 2
- Green cardamom :3
- Aniseed : 1
- Cinnamon : 2 " stick
- Bay leaves : 2
- Coriander powder : 1 tblspn
- Garam masala : 1 tblspn
- Biryani masala : 4 tblspn
- Ginger -garlic paste : 1 tblspn
- Chilli paste : 1/2 tblspn
- Kasoori methi : 1/4 tblspn
- Brown sugar/ white sugar : 1 tspn
- Coriander leaves : 3 tblspn(chopped)
- Mint leaves : 3 tblspn(chopped)
- Fried onions : 1/2 cup
- Salt : as required
Making the masala:
- wash , peel and cut all the vegetables(carrot ,beans ,potato) into thin long strips , cauliflower into big florets , tomato into big squares and peas as they are.
- First marinate the vegetables with the spices.
- For this take all the vegetables in a bowl , add ginger garlic paste , chilli paste , coriander powder , garam masala powder , kasoori methi , sugar ,1 tblspn coriander leaves ,1 tblspn mint leaves , little salt ,1/2 tblspn oil.
- Mix them well ,close with a lid and marinate for 10 -15 mins.
- Heat 4 tblspn oil in a big saucepan . Add 4 cloves , black cardamom, 2 green cardamoms , aniseed ,bay leaves ,cinnamon and fry for 1 min till a nice aroma starts coming from it.
- Now add the marinated vegetables , chillies to the oil . Fry them a little and add the biryani masala to it and mix well till all the vegetables are nicely coated with the masala powder.
- Add 1/2 cup of curd and fry on a medium flame till the vegetables are 70% cooked .Be careful that vegetables are not fully cooked. They should remain little crunchy.
- Once done, remove from the flame and keep it aside.
Cooking rice :
- Wash and soak rice in water for 30 mins.
- Add 2 cloves ,one green cardamom ,1 tblspn oil to it and cook till 70% done.
- Drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a wide bottomed vessel , spread half of the masala as a first layer. spread 1/4 cup of fried onions , 1 tblspn coriander leaves , mint leaves ,1/4 cup curd on the top of the first layer.
- As a second layer spread half of the cooked rice .
- As a third layer spread the remaining masala , 1/4 cup of fried onions , mint , coriander leaves ,remaining curd on the top of the rice.
- Once done with the third later , spread the remaining rice on the top of the vegetables .
- Warm the milk and divide into two equal portions.
- Add saffron threads to one portion of milk and soak for 10 mins. Add the orange colour to the another portion of milk.
- Add these two portions of milk to the layers in a circular form.
- Spread fried cashew nuts and ghee on the top of the rice and cook on a very low flame or double boiling method(Take some water in a wide bottomed pan ,let the water bring to boil and insert the biryani vessel in it) for 30 minutes closing the lid.
- Veg Biryani is now ready to serve .So , You now know that even veggies can have a finger licking biryani in dum style..:)
|Marinating and cooking vegetables|
|Arranging the curry and rice for Dum process|