The refreshing , versatile leafy vegetable which adds punching flavor to the rice , biryani , beverages is mint. Its a special leafy vegetable which spreads its refreshing flavor . Most common recipes of the mint are mint rice , mint chutney , mint raita . There are many variations in doing all of these . But this is a special one i never tasted before. I learnt this from my Mother -in-law who is an expert in making chutneys and pickles .This is one of best sides with idlis ,rice , vada , samosa .Try it n enjoyyyy :)
- Pudina : 2 cups
- Tomato : 1 big
- Oil : 2 -3 tblspn
- Salt : as required
- Spice powder : 1 tblspn
- Tamarind : small marble size
- Mustard : 1 tspn
- Cumin : 1 tspn
- Urad dal : 1 tspn
- Asefoetida : a pinch
- Curry leaves : 2 strigs
Ingredients for spice powder :
- Red chillies : 6-7
- Dhania seeds : 1 tblspn
- Cumin(jeera) : 1 tblspn
- Chana dal (senagapappu) : 1 tblspn
- Fenugreek seeds : 5-6
- Garlic : 6 pods
- Heat 1/2 tblspn of oil in a pan, fry all the ingredients of spice powder ( except garlic) in a low flame until they become golden brown color.
- Cool them and grind along with garlic using a mixer grinder to form a fine powder .
- Soak tamarind in a little water seperately.
- Heat 1 1/2 tblspn of oil in a pan. When the oil gets heated , add pudina leaves and saute them till they become soft
- Add chopped tomatoes ,salt and and saute till the tomatoes turn soft.Once they become soft ,turn off the stove ,let them cool down.
- Grind them along with the spice powder and tamarind using a mixer grinder to a fine paste like chutney .
- Prepare the seasoning ( popu) by heating one tblspn of oil. When the oil is popping hot, add mustard , cumin seeds. When they begin to splutter, add a pinch of asefoetida ,urad dal ,curry leaves and fry till they turn golden brown.
- Add the seasoning to the chutney and mix well.
Points to Remember:
Add tomatoes after the mint leaves are completely sauteed. Because once you add tomatoes they will not saute completely.